Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Best Golf Holes In the Kawarthas


So what's the best golf hole in the in the Kawarthas ? That's a question that I have been asked in the past and one that's always tough to answer. You see, we have some great courses here with some great golf holes. With two Stanley Thompson courses right here within our city (Peterborough, Ontario) limits there are plenty to choose from right there. Add in some other local favorites such as Pine Crest and Wildfire and you can see where it's a tough call.

#12 at Pine Crest is definitely a challenging hole that I love to take on. It's a long Par 4 with a small green. You can spray it off the tee if you want but good luck making par. You need to rip it down the gut and make a great second shot for any chance at all at birdie.

I have always like #7 and #11 at Kawartha. They are both par 5's with elevated tees and a chance to grip and rip it off the decks. You have to cross water on both holes just before the greens and that can always make for a tough decision. The view from both holes especially the 7th are fantastic. In the end I believe #9 is my favorite at Kawartha.

Across the city at PGCC where I once worked in the back shop, I have several favorites including the 2nd hole which is a Par 3 about 190 yards with a large green to hit into to. You can't go to wrong with #12 another Par 3 along the Trent Canal. However I think the best hole and one that doesn't give up too many birdies is #3. Nothing fancy, no water, no elevated tee, just a great Stanley Thompson golf hole with a century old farm house tucked behind the green making for a neat backdrop. A bunker down the right hand side comes into play more times then not for this author.

I could go on and on and I'm interested in what you have to think on this topic. Perhaps you think #12 (the old #11) at Wildfire tops your list. #1 and #10 at Wolf Run might get a few votes from down Janetville way or #18 at Tamarac might get the nod from regulars there. Let us know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good choices. I like #18 at Kawartha. Having a par 3 as a finishing hole is a bit cheesy but for some reason it works at Kawartha, same for Pine Crest. It makes for a neat finish if you are following a tournament at either course as you can watch the entire hole from the green. I also like #12 at Six Foot Bay.